Monday, January 10, 2011

Just killing time

So my home study money and contracts were sent and received.  Now I guess I just wait for the next step.  I am lucky to be working some overtime tonight into the wee hours of tomorrow.  I am here to assist if needed so basically some easy overtime for me.  Yeah!!  I just keep thinking about Sophia and how much fun she and I are going to have.  A co-worker brought me 6 boxes and a bag of little girl clothes from little to size 6 or 7.  Cute stuff what I saw.  I'm dying to look through it.  I am tempted to go to my car and grab the boxes and go through them at my desk but I won't . :( 

A friend asked me if I was nervous (she is adopting too a girl from Sophia's region) I said no not about being a mom anyway but I am nervous about all the powers that be giving me the go ahead to adopt her as well as finding the money to bring her home.  That is a HUGE obstacle.  I have some great friends donate but I seem to have hit a wall.  How do I get over it, the wall that is? 

I also had a discouraging thing happen.  I went to my local grocery store (and I really want to bash it  well not the store but the store director, but I'm trying to be a bigger person.  It's hard)  to see about holding a bake sale in front of the store.  I approached him with a smile and politely asked if I could hold the sale.  He approached with a scowl, and annoyed attitude before I even opened my mouth.   The following was the exchange I had with him:

Me:  I would like to hold a bake sale in front of your store.  I am adopting a little girl (Pointing to my shirt.  I have a picture of Sophia, that says "Would you like to help bring me home?") through Reece's Rainbow a non-profit that assisted in finding families for orphans who had down syndrome.
Store Director: "Who are you with?" 

Me:  I am adopting through Reece's Rainbow a non-profit that assisted in finding families for orphans who had down syndrome.

Store Director:  When did you want to do this?

Me:  I was hoping the Saturday before Super Bowl, February 5th.

Store Director:  No!..... I think I have Girl Scout's then...

Me: Oh OK.  Would it be possible to have it another time?

Store Director:  Who are you with?

Me:  I am adopting through Reece's Rainbow a non-profit that assisted in finding families for orphans who had down syndrome.

Store Director:  Hold I have to check something... I am booked until at least the end of February if you want to come back and ask me then you can.

Me:  OK thank you.

I was so put off by his rude demeanor and lack of customer service skills it took everything I had to be polite and keep smiling (all I wanted to do was cry or yell at him),  There are polite ways to tell me no or even we only allow certain groups whatever.  He didn't employ any of those ways!  I told my boyfriend I wanted to write a letter to his district manager.  My boyfriend wanted to go tell him off and give him an attitude adjustment for being so rude to me. (it was rather chivalrous ) :)  It really bothered me the director's attitude from word one heck just from his approach.  I have worked many years in the customer service industry and to see such lack of service was amazing to me.

So I showed him I'm going to hold an online bake sale LOL

Thank you for allowing me to vent on this matter.  This is how I work things out in my head. 

So keep your peepers open  online bake sale coming your way.  I can ship the cookies but unfortunately the cupcakes are for locals only (Orange County or Inland Empire) mostly because I don't know how well a cupcake would ship. 

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Megan! The supportive people outnumber the ones that drive us crazy, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! I LOVE my grocery store even more now. Several of their baggers and stockers have Ds or other disability. They are always doing Special Olympic fundraisers INSIDE the store, to get athletes to regionals, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi found you through RR and am excited about reading about your journey. We are hoping to adopt in a couple years and I just LOVE reading the stories of families bringing home their kiddos. With that said, best of luck to you on your bake sale. There are other things that you can make and ship. You could make homemade marshmallows and homemade carmels. Homemade candy of any sort would ship well. Just a thought. Best of luck to you and keep your head up, You will have her home before you know it!!

    ReplyDelete